Skip to main content

Can a 17 year old file The I-864 Affidavit of Support for her spouse and have her father the Joint Sponsor?

Kenmare, ND |

My 17 year old daughter, who will be 18 in September, is filing Family Forms for her spouse, who is in the US on a B-2 Visa, which was his status when they married in March. Can she file the I-864 as a spouse, and have her Father, file the I-864 as a joint sponsor? The question here is her age for filing the I-864, which states she must be 18 years old. If not, how does she file Affidavit of Support?

Attorney Answers 3



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful


While she does not meet the requirements for the form, USCIS has allowed this in the past.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful




Should she fill out Form I-864 as the sponsor, and her father form I-864A, then, as combining his income with hers?



They are living in the same household.


Yes, why not?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics