Can a 17 year old, pregnant girl leave home without parental consent in the state of Virginia?

I am 17 years old and four months pregnant. My mother is emotionally abusive to me and there is constant stress here. I am seeking employment and have a place to stay until I am on my feet. My boyfriend wants to be involved and I want him to be. My mother has also threatened to take my child from me if I get pregnant, so she does not know that I am expecting. I want to raise my child in a safe enviornment that is not foster care. Do I have a chance at all?

Danville, VA -

Anneshia Miller Grant

Anneshia Miller Grant

Family Law Attorney - Fairfax, VA

Unless you are emancipated, you are required to abide by your parent's rules and remain in their care and custody until you turn 18. The law doesn't make an exception for pregnancy, only marriage (which would require parental consent). In order to file for emancipation, you must be self-supportive (which means gainfully employed) and show proof of that to the court.

Your mother does not have any custody rights over your child, unless she petitions the court after the child is born and is awarded same.