Can a 16 year old leave home without consent in michigan if they tell their parents where they are?

Asked over 2 years ago - Northville, MI

Can a 16 year old leave home without consent in michigan if they tell their parents where they are? and will the people that they go to live with get in any legal trouble for taking care of the 16 year old. what abut if they are 17? what can the police do will they take the 16 year old home?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Edward Jacob Sternisha


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you are under 18 (and have not been adjudged to be an Emancipated Minor by a court) you have no right to leave home against your parents wishes. If your friends are helping you as a runaway, they can get into trouble too. If your parents file a Runaway Report or a Missing Person Report, the police will bring you back home if they find you, and again, anyone helping you can get into trouble. If you continue to runaway, the court can become involved and order you to stay in foster care or a juvenile home depending on the circumstances and how much trouble you are causing. You can petition the court to become and Emancipated Minor which would pretty much mean you would be treated as an adult, however, it is not simple. You would need to demonstrate to the court's satisfaction that you are able to take care of yourself, provide for yourself (job, school, shelter, etc.). But the simple answer for you today is you have to go back home. Good Luck!

    The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational... more
  2. Ralph John Stephan Jr.

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unless the 16 ( or 17 ) year old is an emancipated minor, his or her parents may report the minor as a runaway. The police will then find the minor and bring them home. Anyone who tries to keep the minor from their parents can be charged with a misdemeanor known as contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

    If the minor wants to leave home they better have their parents consent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,548 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,548 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering