Skip to main content

Can a 16 year old boy choose which parent he can live with in north carolina?

Beckley, WV |

my son is 16 he lives with he's dad in north carolina, i live in west virgnia. he wants to come and stay with me . he has even talked about running away from home, i told him not to do that. he's dad has custody. but if he calls me to come and get him would i get in trouble? would he? i don't know what to do .

Attorney Answers 1


Go back to court with or without an attorney and present your son's views to the court. So long as you are willing, and absent any red flags about the home that you can provide, a court is highly likely to give great weight to the choice of a child who is 16. You might want to consider filing an emergency expedited notice of the legal proceeding. It is important to counsel your son to have patience and trust in your diligent efforts to bring his choices to the attention of the court. It will not serve him over the long-run to be detained as a runaway, and could make his situation worse.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics