Can a 14-year old be charged with sexual harrassment?

Hicksville, NY |
Filed under: Juvenile law

My son was playing a game with other boys. They were standing in a circle and decided to slap (not hard) the rears of girls as they walked by, then pretend they didn't do it. My son was the only one who got caught. He has been suspended for four days. Was this a crime? Or, an innocent game played by children?

1. You really need to ask this question? He is unlikely to be charged criminally, but he could be charged with assault, and perhaps sexual harassment. If he is, fortunately, he will be treated as a juvenile. Although, others may disagree with this, if it was my son, I would have him call the girls or speak to them in person and apologize for being rude, juvenile and disrespectful. It is the parents of these girls who can file the complaint with complaint that could place your son into the system -- and you don't want that. I would not let my son put anything in writing because of that, but a little bit of remorse and an apology can go a long way. AND as a parent, if you try to justify such behavior as innocent game playing, you are compounding a problem, which will only get worse.

Juvenile law topics