Skip to main content

Can a (non mental health) hospital keep you against your will?

Mechanicsburg, PA |

In wreck. Didnt want treated or go to hospital. They tricked me into ambulance and took me to ER. There they wouldnt let me leave despite me repeating I didnt want to be there. Was just a regular ER, but place was all locked, they keyed or buzzed people in/out, so couldnt just walk out. I literally felt like a prisoner, couldnt step out of room without someone bodily blocking me. Even stopped from looking for a bathroom. Wouldnt answer my questions and insisted on tests I didnt want. I was lucid, not arrested, not under influence of drugs/alcohol. I pointed out they had no legal right to hold me against my will and finally created enough ruckus until some doctor said to just let me leave. Didnt sign ANYTHING. Must I pay bills if I didnt want service (no insurance?) Ruin perfect credit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You've raised a lot of issues. For a proper answer an attorney would need to know why you were tricked into an ambulance, past medical history, what you were treated for, what kind of hospital it really was, and more circumstances. I suggest seeing a personal injury lawyer for a consultation to better evaluate your case. You may have one.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


You've raised a lot of issues in this question. Your best bet is to contact a lawyer and discuss the matter with them in person. They will be able to listen to your entire story, ask follow up questions, and uncover what exactly your options are. They will also be able to explain the process and likelihood of your success.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer