Can a "In Pro Per" spouse issue/sign/request for a subpoena in a pending divorce dissolution? Or does an attorney have to issue?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Beverly Hills, CA

I can't afford to subpoena my husband, but I really need to.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

1. Donald Frederick Conviser

5

1

Answered . A Pro Per can't issue his/her own Subpoena. You need either a lawyer or the Court Clerk to issue the Subpoena. To do the latter, prepare the Subpoena first and bring it to the Court Clerk for the Clerk to issue it. Then you can have a copy of it served on the witness. You should first check to determine whether or not Notice to Consumer or Employee is first required. You would best consult with an experienced Family Law Attorney, or if you can't afford one, consult with a volunteer lawyer in the Court's Self-Help Clinic.

2. Scott Charles Maccabe

3

Best Answer

Answered . No, you need the court clerk. Under CCP section 1985, you need a clerk, judge, or attorney of record. Your choice here is going to be the clerk.

3. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

5

Answered . Go to the Courts self help for assistance to do it right, but yes they can

4. Cameron Todd Norris

Pro

2

Answered . I'm slightly confused about why you would have to subpoena your husband in the divorce--as he is most likely a party. If he is a party and fails to show up--the court can simply make orders in his absence.

The form you want is SUBP-001. Take 3 copies to the self-help center closest to you, fill it out, take it to the clerk for their signature, then have someone else personally serve it on your husband. You can pay the Civil Division on the LA Sheriff's Dept. to personally serve it for you and that would be cheaper than most commercial process service companies.

Best of luck.

5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

1

1

Answered . no, as a proper you cannot issue subpoenas. Get youself a lawyer to help you or go to the Court Clerk to issue the subpoena. Best of luck.