Can a book with personal stories written by the American public and placed on the internet, meet product service requiremnt?

Anchorage, AK |

Product-service standards in almost all states are required when involving revenues collected from the public- ( enter illegal " pyramiding activities). Can a publication ( book) having collected stories from the American public and made available on the internet, meet product-service requirements-standards. his question surrounds an endeavor that wants to be legal in all aspects, thus the question posed to you. Thank you!

1. This question makes no sense whatsoever. I have been practicing law for thirty years and I do not have a clue concerning what you call "product-service standards". There are no state or federal standards that govern the content of books, other than prohibitions against obscenity, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation and violation of publicity rights. There is no reason why someone cannot publish stories collected from the public.+

2. Like my colleague, I also have never heard the phrase "product-service standards." I think the plan is to compile a book consisting of "personal stories" written by a number of people and to then sell the book. The editor of that book must hire an intellectual property attorney to do many chores -- for example, drafting the agreements between the various authors and the company compiling the stories into a book, assisting with the publication agreement between that company and the companies printing, distributing and selling the book and assisting with all the copyright matters.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

3. Product-service requirements-standards apply to products and services, but not for publications. Product and service standards reflect a level of quality and safety. They serve the purpose of protecting the consumer and equally important, the manufacturer’s employees in the form of safety standards. These standards are an accepted factor in the United States, and with the formation of the International Standards Organization (ISO) and other international organizations have become commonplace internationally. Countries use their standards primarily as a means of blocking imports.

Publications probably may fall under freedom of speech, public decency, cultural sensitivity, religious blasphemy and sensor standards.

This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney. I work for Cardinal Risk Mangement and Cardinal Intellectual Property, IP service companies, but not law firms. I also am the president of Vepachedu Educational Foundation Inc., which is a non profit educational foundation. I also write cultural and scientific compliations for the foundation. I also teach at Northwestern university as a guest lecturer. I also provide some pro-bono guidance on immigration and other issues through Indian American Bar Association. I also have a contract with Cardinal Law Group, a law firm, for IP projects. All this information is on my profile at Avvo and also at Linkedin. Any views/opinions expressed in any context are my personal views in individual capacity only, and do not represent the views and opinions of any firm, client, or anyone else, and is not sponsored or endorsed by them in any way.