Can a "bad faith" lawsuit be filed against a WC Insurer? If so, would it be difficult to obtain legal representation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ladera Ranch, CA

WC IC/CA has acted in bad faith numerous times throughout the claim process. Is there any recourse??

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . Have you asked your attorney about this? No one should be attempting to navigate the CA Work Comp process without legal counsel.

2. Eugene Andre Ahtirski

Pro

Answered . WC is a very specialized area, and without a full analysis of all facts and circumstances, it is impossible to address your question accurately. You really need to speak with to a WC applicant's attorney ASAP to assist you! I truly wish you the best of luck! As an aside, if you found my direction helpful, and if you feel appropriate; could you be so kind as to designate my answer as the “best” answer to your question?

3. Timothy John Broussard

Answered . No. The Exclusive Jurisdication laws of Worker's Compensation would likely protect a carrier (which are only a few in California). It also protects against suiing the employer. The relationship between a WC carrier and the applicant employer are naturally adversarial. Also, I am not sure there is a first party relationship to allow this as the insured is the employer. I agree with the other counsel. Your WC is likely in Orange County. So, look for an applicant attorney in OC or South Orange County.

Tim Broussard
    949-261-7700
    tbroussard@kringandchung.com

This email does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.
  4. David J. McCormick

1

Answered . You need a worker’s comp. attorney ASAP.