Can a { Top Notch } CPA fight for my rights as well as an excellent Tax Attorney can?

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

more importantly ... I have 2 unfiled years to hand in and a tax warrant was issued by NY state
after a IRS lien and notice of intent to levy on a back year that was filed and unpaid

I had hired *** to represent me and for a while their ( unorthodox ) ?
approach was to employ me in an LLC and let the tax authorities garnish my upcoming
wages ~~~ this plan fell apart as the LLC never started operations and the tax firm
split up ....

I have additional mess (es ) estates in probate / administration / possible landlord tenant
lawsuits forthcoming / guardianship hearings next year to attend

plus I am still recovering from the sudden loss of a long time best friend to suicide

I went from having income of almost 250K in 08 to under 50 cents in bank
and food stamps HELP !

1. E. Martin Davidoff

Pro

7

1

Answered . Many CPAs can be as effective if not more effective than attorneys. Attorneys DO have privilege. However, privilege may not be critical for you. You need to find the best practitioner. As suggested, one who is an attorney AND CPA may be best. You can find such through the website of the American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants.

2. Richard Albert Luthmann

Pro

6

1

Answered . You are always better to have an attorney because there is no CPA-Client privilege and the CPA could be compelled to testify against you.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

5

1

Answered . Not in court, unless the CPA is also an attorney.