Can 9yr.old daughter be interrogated by several armed sheriffs and principal in locked room at school alone?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Cruz, CA

she has been bullied by principal [name omitted] several other times in recenct past.this time she and sheriffs terrorized her.she/we need help

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It is not unlawful for a law enforcement official to ask a child questions without first locating and causing the presence of the parent. In many circumstances, this will be fully responsible and professional conduct. And such conduct is not made unlawful by the presence of the school principal -- just the opposite. Moreover, it is doubtful that the room was locked, most likely the door was closed and that is not per se inappropriate. In all events, that element is not likely to be a determinative one as to the legal issues here.

    Now, you have left out ALL the details about the "terrorizing" and the "bullying," so there is nothing of use that can be offered on those issues. Clearly the facts and circumstances of how your daughter was treated during this questioning are critical. For example, if she was beaten into unconsciousness, there is a serious legal problem. But in the absence of any of the facts that underlie your accusations, no one here can tell you anything reliable. You can re-post or you may want to consult with a local civil rights attorney.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,563 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,563 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering