Skip to main content

Can 2 registered sex offenders one on parole, the other no longer on parole who are engaged live together and get married?

Scarsdale, NY |

I am a 47 year old male registered sex offender, level 3. I have a hearing in Feb and and reasonably confident that my level will be lowered to a level 2. My fiance, also a male and a sex offender is being releaded from prison in March. Our crimes are very different, his was with an underage female, mine an underage male. He was previously married to a female but is now legally divorced. He has a history of substance abuse but has been clean for almost 2 years. I am studying to be a chemical dependency counselor. Can parole keep us from living together, having contact or even getting married since we are both convicted felons and sex offenders and if so are there any legal avenues we can follow to overcome this and get married in June as we wish to?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


What are the terms of his parole? If you aren't already violating it by associating, then I'd suggest that the terms do not prohibit marriage..

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.


It is not going to be as parole has a lot of lattitude in what they do.
I suggest hiring a parole specialist to assist.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


(1) Your crimes are not different the sex of the victim is irrelevant
(2) Your query is very difficult and technical in nature and cannot be accurately answered in this forum. You need to retain counsel that specializes in sex offenses and the sex offender statuses and parole laws. Best of luck.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer