Skip to main content

Can 2 people live in an apartment with only 1 name on the lease?

Mesa, AZ |

My girlfriend and I want to get an apartment together. I am currently living in my first apartment, and I have good credit.

My girlfriend has bad credit, due to be overcharged for a faulty AC unit at her old apartment.

Can we get an apartment together, with only my name on the lease? Do apartments allow that? If not, then how would she be on my lease when she has bad credit?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Most leases in Arizona specify 1) who is signing on the lease and 2) who is authorized to live in the property. The people who sign the lease are generally the only ones legally responsible for the rent payments. It is possible that your new landlord will either write in your girlfriend's name on the lease as an authorized occupant, or there may just be a clause that states a maximum number of people allowed to live in the property.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL, PLEASE CLICK TO MARK IT AS A GOOD ANSWER. The information provided above does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on for anything other than informational purposes. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

  2. Of course you can get an apartment with just your name on it. Just make sure the lease allows you to have a roommate, or, conversely, make sure the lease doesn't state that you are the only one allowed to live there. For a fairly nominal fee, I'll be happy to review your lease if you want to make sure you've got the flexibility you need.

    Accessing this website or receiving an electronic transmission from Nagle Law Group, P.C., or any specific attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C., does not create an attorney-client relationship or any other duty on the part of Nagle Law Group, P.C. An attorney-client relationship is only created upon an express agreement with an attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C.

  3. Certainly you can but the decision will be entirely upto the landlord. You should contact properties you are interested in renting and ask them about the policy. In my experience most properties are going to require a non-dependent to be listed on the lease as a contractually liable party. Also, while her credit may be bad you will likely still be able to rent but may have to put down a larger security deposit.

Landlord-tenant law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics