Skip to main content

Can you re- open or overturn a collaborative divorce if fraud was found after the fact

Menomonee Falls, WI |

my divorce was collaborative but after the fact I found my x had started another company while we were married and did not disclose it. He was very careful NOT to generate income until the divorce was final. I also have come to suspect that he was cooking his books to hide other assets and the company we owned was never properly and fully appraised. can I re-open the case and investigate ALL his books from that period and /or up to this point in time. And if so, who do I contact?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Fraud is one way to void a divorce agreement. I urge you however to bring your evidence of same to a local divorce attorney for review to ensure you have a valid fraud case. Best of Luck to you.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. Yes you can move to reopen the case, conduct discovery and seek a new judgment and sanctions against your ex if you can prove he concealed assets. In Wisconsin modification is clearly permissible and warranted when the original decree was based on significantly incorrect or fraudulent information. Because the law provides requires the parties to provide full disclosure of assets and liabilities, providing incorrect information to conceal assets is a fraud on you and the court. If proven, the court can impose significant sanctions. I offer free consultations and have experience with cases involving concealed evidence.

  3. I agree with Attorneys Lewis and Zales. Also, regardless of whether the divorce was collaborative/adversarial, or was stipulated/contested, you can move to vacate a judgment based on allegations of fraud or misrepresentation. See sec. 806.07 of the Wisconsin Statutes for the specific grounds and procedure on seeking Relief from Judgment. Good Luck!

    My answer does not automatically make me your attorney or create a former-client/current-client relationship with you. I encourage you to speak with an attorney before acting upon any of the statements I make. If you would like to speak with me further about your issue, please schedule a free initial consultation (in person or over the phone) by calling my office at (920) 459-8490, or by emailing me at You can also visit for more information.

Divorce Topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics