Can /Should I take legal action against my financial aid (FA) office?

Hello, I found a clause in the official US Federal Student Aid Handbook that states the following: "The regulations define a graduate/professional student as a student who is enrolled in a program or course above the baccalaureate level or in a professional program and has completed the equivalent of 3 academic years of full-time study either prior to entrance or as part of the program itself." I am enrolled in a second degree BS program that is an accredited, professional program and I have completed at least 3 academic years of full study. Thus , I eligible for loans meant for professional students; however, the FA office is ignoring this clause and is trying to limit my aid to that available to undergraduates, which would force me to take out private loans. Can/should I seek action

Hoboken, NJ -

Stuart M Nachbar

Stuart M Nachbar

Education Law Attorney - Livingston, NJ

I stand by my previous answer

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

The determination by your school is what most schools would conclude on these facts because a BS is not graduate level ("above the baccalaureate level") no matter how many other bachelors or other undergraduate degrees the student may have previously earned.