Can /Should I take legal action against my financial aid (FA) office?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hoboken, NJ

Hello,

I found a clause in the official US Federal Student Aid Handbook that states the following:
"The regulations define a graduate/professional student as a student who is enrolled in a program or course or in a professional program and has completed the equivalent of 3 academic years of full-time study either prior to entrance or as part of the program itself."

I am enrolled in a second degree BS program that is an accredited, professional program and I have completed at least 3 academic years of full study. Thus , I eligible for loans meant for professional students; however, the FA office is ignoring this clause and is trying to limit my aid to that available to undergraduates, which would force me to take out private loans.

Can/Should I seek legal action against the FA office?

NOTE (7/31; 11:53pm EST): Do not answer this question. There is a mistake in the quote. Please refer to the other version for the same question.

1. Stuart M Nachbar

Pro

Answered . I agree with Counsel. You are misreading, and misinterpreting your status. You are not qualified.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . The determination by your school is what most schools would conclude on these facts because a BS is not graduate level ("above the baccalaureate level") no matter how many other bachelors or other undergraduate degrees the student may have previously earned.