Can /Should I take legal action against my financial aid (FA) office?

Hoboken, NJ |

Hello,

I found a clause in the official US Federal Student Aid Handbook that states the following:
"The regulations define a graduate/professional student as a student who is enrolled in a program or course or in a professional program and has completed the equivalent of 3 academic years of full-time study either prior to entrance or as part of the program itself."

I am enrolled in a second degree BS program that is an accredited, professional program and I have completed at least 3 academic years of full study. Thus , I eligible for loans meant for professional students; however, the FA office is ignoring this clause and is trying to limit my aid to that available to undergraduates, which would force me to take out private loans.

Can/Should I seek legal action against the FA office?

NOTE (7/31; 11:53pm EST): Do not answer this question. There is a mistake in the quote. Please refer to the other version for the same question.

The determination by your school is what most schools would conclude on these facts because a BS is not graduate level ("above the baccalaureate level") no matter how many other bachelors or other undergraduate degrees the student may have previously earned.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Postscript: Somewhere in your college education -- undergrad or otherwise -- you were supposed to receive instruction in the rules for quotations: the use and meaning of quote marks, ellipses, etc. You have provided two different versions of the same quoted material in your two questions, and the material omission from the second question suggests an effort to manipulate the content of the answers you receive here. Why? What is the possible advantage in an erroneous answer from an Avvo Q and A responding attorney based on an inaccurate quote from the controlling material?

This question has a mistake in it. I mistakenly left out the "above the baccalaureate level" after "...program or course" when retyping the quote in this question. I corrected in the second posting of this question (word to word as written in the FSA Handbook) but did not realized that this posting was still here until later. I apologize for this mistake.

EDIT: This question has a mistake in it. I mistakenly left out the "above the baccalaureate level" after "...program or course" when retyping the quote in this question. I corrected the mistake in the second posting of this question (word to word as written in the FSA Handbook) but did not realized that this posting was still here until later. I apologize for this mistake. (If there is a way to delete questions, please tell me.)

This question (the one with the mistake) was posted prior to the question including the "above the baccalaureate level." The first question had the omission, not the second question.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

OK. Fair enough. Sorry if I misjudged you. But the original answer is still the answer to your question. There is an argument to be made that any degrees after the first should be considered "graduate," but that is not the direction that was adopted and implemented by the regulations. So, most likely, that argument will not be considered. by the

I understand the argument that you are making; however, the program that I plan to attend is a professional program - confirmed by a government-recognized agency and a government agency as being a professional program - even though this particular professional program is at the baccalaureate level.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

You need to find in the regulations the OPERATIVE AND APPLICABLE definition of "professional program."

I agree with Counsel. You are misreading, and misinterpreting your status. You are not qualified.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.