Can i apply for disability while on unemployment

Asked over 3 years ago - Roseville, MI

I am collecting unemployment in Michigan. Should I apply for SSD now or wait un till my unemployment ends.

1. Timothy G Kearney

1

Answered . The standard for qualifying for unemployment is generally a demonstrated ability and willingness to seek and accept suitable employment. The first hurdle for qualifying for SSD or SSI is the inability to engage in Substantial Gainful Activity. If you are collecting you are representing that you can, and are willing to work. This is contrary to the position that you cannot work due to a disability.

2. Graham Wright

1

Answered . You can apply for Social Security Disability benefits (both SSI and SSDI) if you are unable to work due to a disability even though you are currently receiving unemployment benefits. Nothing prevents you from putting in the application, even though your statements to each benefit program are seemingly contradictory. However, what may happen is an offset of your retroactive SS benefits based on the unemployment benefits you actually received. This usually happens with SSI retroactive and not SSDI retroactive. As the application process is lengthy, I would consult a SS attorney immediately to get the process started.