Can, as a live-in adult child of an abusive alcoholic father, take ownership of the property to protect the estate?

Asked over 2 years ago - Sapulpa, OK

Friend's father is the sole owner of property in Creek County, Oklahoma. However, he has become exceptionally abusive verbally towards his live-in adult daughter and her two young daughters. He is an alcoholic who has been convicted of one DUI, forced to retire because of his alcoholism, and even has doctors stating his inevitable early death due to the alcoholism. Is there any legal basis for having him declared mentally incompetent for being an alcoholic? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to have him arrested and forced to seek counseling? His alcoholic behavior is having a severe detrimental effect on the children, and they have no where else to turn. I need legal assistance to stop a whirling vortex of drunken destructiveness.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Retain a family lawyer who is skilled in matters of alcoholism. Try to remove these people from harm's way immediately as they are in grave danger. Do anything and everything and speak to a lawyer, police, family services. As you know alcholism is a progressive, chronic and often times fatal disease. Finally, once safe the family members must go to Alanon and Aleteen meetings to sort out their personal devastation.

    Hope this helps.

    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is and his blog is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Attorney Fromm gave great advice.
    The daughter is in a tough spot living in his home with her
    minor children and probably not wanting to cause her father further
    The daughter should actually find a way to relocate herself and family.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Topics

Condemned house

A condemned house is one that does not meet building codes, and is in such poor shape that nobody can legally live in it unless and until it is repaired.

Real property ownership

Several different kinds of property ownership exist, including joint tenancy, tenancy in common and more. The right one for you depends on your circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,324 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,324 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering