Can a tenant bill me for extra things she put into my home after she stopped paying rent and abandoned the property?

Vero Beach, FL |

For example she put granite counter top in kitchen, fixed screened porch, put new wood floors, new tile floors in some areas, new appliances.She did not ask, nor consulted with me first before doing all of this. After 7 months(Aug 2012) of her not living in my home, she has been threatening me that she is going to get a lawyer to demand for me to pay her back for all the things she did to my the home.

The answer to this is highly dependent on the terms of the lease agreement. I recommend you contact a landlord tenant attorney to go over the terms of the lease, any notices sent back and forth between you and the tenant, etc.

There are quantum meruit principles that must be considered when going over the lease and the agreement. It is possible that even if she makes a claim, the amount she can recover will be offset by the rent she did not pay.

In any event, it's important that you have an attorney look at any paperwork you have that is relevant to this case.

Best of luck.

DISCLAIMER This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Jimmy Allen Davis, P.L.. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at www.lawofficesofjimmyallendavis.com or email me at jimmy.davis.esq@gmail.com.

Review your lease agreement. If the tenant did this on her own initiative, without your permission and in contravention of a lease agreement, then she made these repairs to her own detriment. She can threaten you all she likes, but it's likely she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on if making these improvements were not part of your lease agreement.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

She was a good friend of mine and I made the mistake of not giving her a lease.

Send me your lease agreement. Bill@kralawyers.com. We will look it over as a curtesy. Is your lease agreement far/bar, blue moon, or one of your own? Feel free to call to discuss with our office. 305-270-4137. Or fax the lease to 305-397-1065. Bill

She was a good friend of mine and I made the mistake of not giving her a lease contract.

William H. Kassebaum

William H. Kassebaum

Let her try to find an attorney to take the case. Unless there is an agreement for the work with you she cannot retroactively ask for money back on the improvements she did on her own volition. It's her loss. It's unfortunate that it was a good friend.

Thank you, for your time

William H. Kassebaum

William H. Kassebaum

Anytime and best wishes for a positive result!