Can a tenant bill me for extra things she put into my home after she stopped paying rent and abandoned the property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Vero Beach, FL

For example she put granite counter top in kitchen, fixed screened porch, put new wood floors, new tile floors in some areas, new appliances.She did not ask, nor consulted with me first before doing all of this. After 7 months(Aug 2012) of her not living in my home, she has been threatening me that she is going to get a lawyer to demand for me to pay her back for all the things she did to my the home.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jimmy Allen Davis

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The answer to this is highly dependent on the terms of the lease agreement. I recommend you contact a landlord tenant attorney to go over the terms of the lease, any notices sent back and forth between you and the tenant, etc.

    There are quantum meruit principles that must be considered when going over the lease and the agreement. It is possible that even if she makes a claim, the amount she can recover will be offset by the rent she did not pay.

    In any event, it's important that you have an attorney look at any paperwork you have that is relevant to this case.

    Best of luck.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/... more
  2. William H. Kassebaum

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Send me your lease agreement. We will look it over as a curtesy. Is your lease agreement far/bar, blue moon, or one of your own? Feel free to call to discuss with our office. 305-270-4137. Or fax the lease to 305-397-1065. Bill

  3. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Review your lease agreement. If the tenant did this on her own initiative, without your permission and in contravention of a lease agreement, then she made these repairs to her own detriment. She can threaten you all she likes, but it's likely she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on if making these improvements were not part of your lease agreement.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,635 answers this week

3,178 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,635 answers this week

3,178 attorneys answering