Can a Child support order be cancelled?

Asked over 4 years ago - Portland, OR

I recently Filed for child support and now my childs father said he will pay me but he wants me to cancel the child support order can that be done?

1. Daniel S Margolin

Answered . It does not appear that you have an order for child support. You could, most likely, dismiss your child support proceeding, but it would not be a good idea. If he wants to pay support you are better off having him do so via a child support order.

2. Lake James H Perriguey

Answered . If you have filed a motion for support, and if the state is not a party due to state assistance, the matter can be dismissed by filing an notice of dismissal.

While the other parent can voluntarily pay support, the support obligation will not be ENFORCEABLE nor will it clear ACCRUE if there is an interruption in payment in the future. With an order, the other parent can still pay you directly. However, if the payments stop, you will be entitled to all the missed payments IF you have the order in place.

Lake Perriguey
    503.227.1928
    http://www.law-works.com
    lake@law-works.com

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . The judge and only the judge can modify, suspend or cancel an order or court for child support.