California Workers’ Comp. SB 863 changes LC 4062; mandating use of the independent medical review

Asked over 1 year ago - Anaheim, CA

California Workers’ Comp., question. SB 863 changes LC 4062; mandating use of the independent medical review process established in Section 4610.5. When does this change take effect? I had read that the IMR Board had to be available by June 2013 but the SB 863 change became effective on January 01, 2013.

LC 4062
(b) If the employee objects to a decision made pursuant to Section 4610 to modify, delay, or deny a request for authorization of a medical treatment recommendation made by a treating physician, the objection shall be resolved only in accordance with the independent medical review process established in Section 4610.5.

1. Manuel Jaime Rodriguez Jr

4

Best Answer

Answered . It is already in effect for dates of injury on or after Jan 2013. It will take effect for all dates of injury on July 1, 2013. Upon you receipt of a utilization review (UR) denial or modification, fill out and mail the request for independent medical review. The form must be included with the UR. If you are having difficulty with medical authorizations, you may seriously want to retain an attorney if you don't already have one.

2. Keith Philip More

4

1

Answered . IMR is on its way - be prepared for denial after denial with no recourse / if you are having difficulty now it's only going to be worse - the change takes place on July 1
    Visit my website at OCSERIOUSINJURY.com for more information

we will not take any action on this case until we have a signed retainer agreement
  3. Brett A. Borah

2

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Rodriguez. For 2013 injuries, it's already in effect. For all other injuries, it goes into effect 07/01/2013. That's the short answer. I just got out of a 4 hour class on this topic (and will be attending another 4 hours next month) so the long answer is a whole lot longer. Trust me, you cannot navigate IMR on your own. It's time to start looking for a good WC attorney.

There are lots of good WC attorneys in OC. Find a good one here at www.avvo.com or at www.caaa.org. CAAA is the association for attorneys here in CA who represent injured workers.