Skip to main content

California Worker’s Comp.; PD Award after DEU

Anaheim, CA |

California Worker’s Comp.; I am pro per. My Judge, just got my case back from DEU; she now has 90 days to issue my PD Award; I don’t have 9 days; what are my options to get the award much sooner?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You can ask the Judge to expedite your F&A, but I do not know of any legal authority that would require her to issue it before the statutory period.

    This communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.

  2. She may issue it in 60 days, but the statute allows 90. They are all over-worked, so I would not get my hopes up for an early arrival.

    I represent Employers, but I can recommend Worker Attorneys in So Cal if you ask.

  3. Unfortunately the law allows for the judge to take that time. Perhaps you can approach the information and assistance officer at your venue and ask them if they would approach the judge to request the judge to expedite the matter. But again if somebody already mentioned there is no longer requiring them to do that.

  4. I'm a bit unclear about your situation. Did you actually go to trial on your case, or did the judge ask the DEU to rate a report which was the basis of a settlement? If you went to trial and the judge issued rating instructions, and you just got the rating, both sides have time to object to the rating and move to strike it or to cross-examine the rating specialist. After that time, the case would stand submitted and the judge's 90 days would start to run.

    When you say you don't have the 90 days, what do you mean? If you are not working, you probably should be receiving permanent disability advances, depending on the rating and on how much was previously advanced. If nothing has been advanced, a call from the Information & Assistance officer may get you some retroactive payments.

    Of course, if you actually have an attorney, you should be asking your attorney about this.

  5. You have to wait. Plus, remember that the insurance company has a due process right to appeal the WCJ's decision...and so do you. Nothing happens quickly in workers' comp - although it should.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics