California uncontested Divorce

Burbank, CA |

How long does it usually take for the judge to sign the Judgement ( I know there is a 6 month waiting period before it is final) However, is it possible for the Judge to sign the judgement with a "future" date for it to be finalized?

IF the judge does sign it early How long from the date that all document is submitted?

The judge will not sign the judgment before the 6-month period is over.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California.

Depending on where you filed and how, it takes usually 6-8 weeks for the judge to sign the judgment after it is submitted. The court will calculate when your divorce is final (for purposes of remarriage), 6 months AND ONE DAY from the date the respondent was served or appeared, which ever happened first. In LA Superior, central, we are blessed with Judge Marjorie Steinberg. She will accept mediated/collaborated judgments directly to her court and will return them within 2-3 DAYS!!! She's very pro-peaceful resolutions in divorce cases. She's the only Judge I know who does this.

The prior response is, I believe, incorrect. A court can enter the judgment BEFORE the six-month period is over; it is not effective to dissolve the marriage until that period is over (though it is an effective court order as to anything else, e.g. child custody, child support, property division, etc.) . The judgment contains a space for the court to enter the date on which the marriage is dissolved, which can be different than the date the judgment is entered.

The time it takes for a judgment to be processed depends on the court's workload, and whether the judgment is prepared correctly the first time. If the clerk's office has to send it back to the preparer several times to fix mistakes, this can delay getting it done for months at a time.