California law on tenant's rent increase

Filed under: Landlord-tenant

If I am the new owner of a property which has a tenant presently living in one unit. How much am I allowed to raise the rent? The rent the tenant now pays is way below the amount it should be. Is there a law governing the rent increase under such circumstances? Thank you.

Thank. I am in Pasadena so I don't think the RSO would apply.

Unless the rental property is subject to rent control, there is no legal limit on the amount of rent increase.

To be under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO), the following three criteria must be met:

1) Property located within the City of Los Angeles;
2) Two or more units on the lot; and
3) Building must have Certificate of Occupancy issued on or before October 1, 1978.

If your rental property is not subject to rent control, then you as the landlord can raise the rent every month to whatever the market will bear.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Dear landlord:

You may raise the rent to whatever the market will bear because, as you pointed out, there is no rent control in Pasadena.

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Correct. There is no rent control in Pasadena.

As stated by my colleagues, since your property is not controlled by RSO you can raise the rent with the appropriate notice.

The opinion provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Landlord-tenant topics