California employment development department

Asked over 2 years ago - Windsor, CA

After receiving state disability during 2009, non-wage, non-taxable, I went back to work for 9 months. I then filed for UI and got it. But when an extension claim was automatically filed for me, I was denied because my non-wage, non-taxable disability period was transformed into a "zero earnings" period. There is no disclosure of this potential when you file or receive a disability claim, thus turning a benefit into a penalty with no pre-information about this possibility when I applied for and accepted the disability claim. I have to supply accurate info when applying. Does the EDD not have the same responsibility when they send you all the paperwork rules and regulations? how do I go after them for the extension period $

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John Addison Vos

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I think you can not.

    Arguably you return the money you receive, then you no longer have a 'zero period', but I have never known anyone to do that. The benefits outweigh the burdens.

    This is general legal information, not intended to apply to your specific case. And I may not be licensed to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,408 answers this week

2,665 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,408 answers this week

2,665 attorneys answering