California driver's license issuance

San Francisco, CA |

Is a person who has overstayed their visa and is not in the US legally get a California driver's license are all the routs to that blocked? Will getting a tax ID help in such a pursuit? The person is currently driving with an international DL in California. Additionally, he does not have a SS#. I should mention that he will soon end up with an expired visa, so can he get a driver's license in here with a tourist visa before it expires?

This is a question that should be asked in an immigration law forum, an immigration attorney should be able to answer the question. I don't think California has completed the legislation to allow non-resident aliens to get a driver's license.

Hudson Thomas Bair

Hudson Thomas Bair

The law to which you are referring doesn't go into effect until 2015

If you do not have a valid visa it is my understanding that you cannot get a CA license. Legislation is still pending with respect to issuing licenses to illegal people to obtain licenses.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

This is much more of an immigration question or even a licensing attorney question. It does not have much, if anything, to do with criminal defense. I will change the practice area to immigration law so you can get a meaningful answer that helps you - hopefully.

Based on my experience, no. I had a client who overstayed her F-1 visa and DMV sent a letter canceling the driver's license. Client subsequently married U.S. citizen and DMV still refused to reactivate driver's license.

Client subsequently obtained EAD and by providing that information to DMV issued a driving license to her.

thank you!

Traffic tickets topics