Skip to main content

California DMV Out of State DUI Question

Modesto, CA |

If a licensed driver in CA receives a DUI in another state and loses the Administrative Hearing in the other state but PLEAS the DUI to a negligent driving in the other state, will the CA DMV suspend my license? Basically I am asking if the CA DMV will suspend based on administrative hearing results or ONLY court convictions reported from out of state?

Attorney Answers 3


I'm pretty sure that the CA DMV will not take action against your CA privilege, but if your home state suspends your privilege there, then CA DMV may be required to refuse to renew your license here in CA until you get the suspension cleared up out there. Do a search on google for Interstate Compact and you will find information about why this happens.

Mark as helpful


Probably not, but you must wait and see. Make sure your address is current with DMV.

The Interstate Compact is a multi-state agreement between participating states to share information and reciprocate. It covers license suspension actions and DUI convictions.

Your home or issuing state may honor & reciprocate - take action to suspend your resident's driver's license.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with the previous two answers. We can't say for absolute certain, but it sounds like most likely you will not wind up with a license suspension in CA.


Jason Beahm
Beahm Law
San Francisco, CA

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics