California casino workers compensation

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

my sister in law (spanish speaker) worked for a san diego indian casino for over 10 years, had a shoulder injury and now she soes not have a job or work comp ??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Maxwell Overholt

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The Indian Casinos are suppose to use a Workers' Compensation system that mirrors the CA Workers' Compensation system. Instead of using the Workers Compensation Appeals Board, workers who are injured at the Indian Casinos need to appeal their denial to the Intertribal Council for the region. Not all tribes are members in the San Diego area, but most are.

    This answer is not intended to be legal advice and an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction should be consulted... more
  2. Brett A. Borah

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Indian casinos, because of their independent nation status, do not fall under California workers' compensation laws. Your sister-in law is going to have to find someone in San Diego who does workers' comp that also does the Indian casino cases.

  3. George Ellis Corson IV

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Indian Casinos are generally Sovereign Nations that are "separate but equal." You will need a SDO Attorney who will deal with them.

    Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,475 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,475 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering