California auto accident value Q. Please give me guesstimate or range. M/C accident. Broken collar bone requiring metal plate?

My friend was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle. There is no issue as to fault. The other driver (of the car) is clearly at fault. So, he has an attorney but he is very evasive in answering value question. The other side has $100k available in insurance. Other than the collar bone he had typical road rash and now has a big scar from the surgery to put in the metal plate. I am curious as to what your guesses of damages might be. Don't worry, I won't hold anyone to it. Just wondering what CA atty might think.

Riverside, CA -

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

No one wants to second guess an attorney who has been retained.

In the very few personal injury cases that I agree to handle, based on your facts which don't specify the amount of out of pocket medical expenses, I would demand policy limits.

Steven Mark Sweat

Steven Mark Sweat

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Beverly Hills, CA

He should consult with the attorney. It is difficult to determine value until you receive all medical records and bills. From what you describe, though, the injuries are significant enough to have a value in excess of $100,000. If it were me, I would demand the policy limit of $100,000 (after verification that this is truly the limit and the insured doesn't have any appreciable assets) and, if this was rejected, I would try to "open" the policy by getting a judgment in excess of this limit.

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Berkeley, CA

If your friend has all of his medical bill and they are substantial with the type of injuries described, I would demand policy limits. However, remember, he has to pay his attorney and his medical bills. so depending on the medical bills, there might not be too much left. Do not be surprised.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Seattle, WA

You need to have this issue reviewed by a qualified attorney in your community.

Martin Paul Weniz

Martin Paul Weniz

Personal Injury Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

I agree with my fellow attorneys. Your friend will benefit greatly from consulting with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. One of my colleagues, Scott J Corwin, is one of the most experienced and successful motorcycle accident advocates in Southern California. His record is outstanding and he takes care of his clients' needs. You can call his offices at: (310) 207-4030 or you can contact him through his website in the link below. I hope my response was helpful.

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

This is very likely to be OVER a policy limits case. Most people settle for whatever the insurance will give (100K), I would probably fight and try to get a contribution from the defendant as well. Of course, cases like this are facts specific, but I wouldn't stop at the policy.