CA Violation 23152 (A) VC / 23152(B) VC what do these charges mean?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Escondido, CA

I got charged with a DUI, and I have no idea what CA VC 23152 A VC and CA VC 23152 B VC mean.

1. Peter Francis Iocona

2

1

Answered . 23152 (b) VC is a per se charge, meaning, you are in violation of 23152 (b) VC if your blood or breath alcohol test reveals a result of 0.08% or more. 23152 (a) VCis a catch-all statute, meaning you can be in violation of this section if you were under the influence of alcohol or, alcohol and drugs. The difference is that you can be below a 0.08%, but still be impaired to be in violation of Vehicle Code 23152 (a). Many forensic scientists that work for the government will routinely say that you can be impaired at a 0.05%; this means that even if you are below a 0.08%, you may still be impaired according to the 23152 A VC law, meaning that the government can still charge you with a DUI.

I hope this sheds some light on the difference between the two DUI statutes under California law. Most are routinely charged with both offenses, but both must still be proven by proof beyond a reasonable doubt for one to be quilty of the offense.

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

1

2

Answered . These are the standard charges in CA DUI cases. The 23152 A VC charge accuses you of driving while impaired with alcohol and/or drugs. The 23152 B VC charge alleges that your blood alcohol content was .08 or above. If you just picked these up you have a DMV administrative hearing within 10 days. Don't skip it or forget it. It's the first step in the process so take an attorney with you.

3. Bradley R Corbett

1

1

Answered . Just to add to the what the other attorneys have said. These charges are very similar but require different elements to prove. Just because you are over a .08 bac does not automatically mean that you are impaired. They both have the same consequences. One is not necessarily worst then the other.

If this is a drug charge then there would be no B count.

4. Amy Treanor Morell

1

Answered . The charges mean you have been charged for DUI. You can only be found guilty of one of the charges. They are restatements of one another. Go to www.dui-help.com to find an attorney in your area.