CA Restricted Drivers License - Car Rental

I have an active DUI related DMV & court case that will likely result in a mandatory hard 30 day license suspension followed by a five month "occupational" driving permit. After the mandatory suspension, legitimate work related assignments require the use of a rental car in several states outside CA. First, is it possible to rent from any car agencies with known policies related to this restricted license? Second assuming this is possible, what is the best way to insure that a preplanned car rental agreement is honored when the conditional license is actually presented at the rental office? Thank you in advance for any professional insight you may have on this (obscure) matter.

Oxnard, CA -

Mark K Rosenfeld

Mark K Rosenfeld

DUI / DWI Attorney - Beverly Hills, CA

This is not an obscure question but there is no one size fits all answer. Every rental company is different and has different policies. The safest thing to do is coordinate with the rental companies and find ones that will accept your valid restricted license with proof of insurance. It can be done but it will take some extra work and maybe a cab ride off of airport property to a non-airport location.

Sponsored Listing
Robert Laurens Driessen

Robert Laurens Driessen

DUI / DWI Attorney - Irvine, CA

This answer will be on a case by case basis by the rental car company. You would need to contact them in advance and determine if they will be willing to rent you a car based on your situation. Good luck to you.
Robert Driessen

I am sorry about the situation, DUI's are getting tougher and tougher. Just be glad your license was not suspended for longer. Car rental companies each do different things, it varies, I have seen some not even bother to ask for a license and simply want a credit card. You could call rental companies near where you will be and ask them what you need to rent a car...you could even try to set it up ahead so you do not have any issues.

Sponsored Listing

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.