CA Restricted Drivers License - Car Rental

Asked about 2 years ago - Oxnard, CA

I have an active DUI related DMV & court case that will likely result in a mandatory hard 30 day license suspension followed by a five month "occupational" driving permit. After the mandatory suspension, legitimate work related assignments require the use of a rental car in several states outside CA. First, is it possible to rent from any car agencies with known policies related to this restricted license? Second assuming this is possible, what is the best way to insure that a preplanned car rental agreement is honored when the conditional license is actually presented at the rental office? Thank you in advance for any professional insight you may have on this (obscure) matter.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mark K Rosenfeld

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . This is not an obscure question but there is no one size fits all answer. Every rental company is different and has different policies. The safest thing to do is coordinate with the rental companies and find ones that will accept your valid restricted license with proof of insurance. It can be done but it will take some extra work and maybe a cab ride off of airport property to a non-airport location.

    Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area... more
  2. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . This answer will be on a case by case basis by the rental car company. You would need to contact them in advance and determine if they will be willing to rent you a car based on your situation. Good luck to you.
    Robert Driessen

    Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated... more
  3. Gary A Kester

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am sorry about the situation, DUI's are getting tougher and tougher. Just be glad your license was not suspended for longer. Car rental companies each do different things, it varies, I have seen some not even bother to ask for a license and simply want a credit card. You could call rental companies near where you will be and ask them what you need to rent a could even try to set it up ahead so you do not have any issues.

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI and DMV hearings

A DMV hearing is not part of criminal court, but is a separate matter handled by the DMV if you request one after a license suspension.

Patrick John Silva

History of the Dreaded DMV Hearings

A brief summary of the law behind the current dui laws. History of the DMV The APS hearing became effective in July 1990 to determine if a person was over the legal limit of a .08% blood... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,784 answers this week

2,896 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,784 answers this week

2,896 attorneys answering