CA Restricted Drivers License - Car Rental

Oxnard, CA |

I have an active DUI related DMV & court case that will likely result in a mandatory hard 30 day license suspension followed by a five month "occupational" driving permit. After the mandatory suspension, legitimate work related assignments require the use of a rental car in several states outside CA. First, is it possible to rent from any car agencies with known policies related to this restricted license? Second assuming this is possible, what is the best way to insure that a preplanned car rental agreement is honored when the conditional license is actually presented at the rental office? Thank you in advance for any professional insight you may have on this (obscure) matter.

1. This is not an obscure question but there is no one size fits all answer. Every rental company is different and has different policies. The safest thing to do is coordinate with the rental companies and find ones that will accept your valid restricted license with proof of insurance. It can be done but it will take some extra work and maybe a cab ride off of airport property to a non-airport location.

Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area with questions regarding your specific case. It is always in your best interest to have a good DUI attorney represent you when you have been arrested for a DUI.

2. This answer will be on a case by case basis by the rental car company. You would need to contact them in advance and determine if they will be willing to rent you a car based on your situation. Good luck to you.
    Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

3. I am sorry about the situation, DUI's are getting tougher and tougher. Just be glad your license was not suspended for longer. Car rental companies each do different things, it varies, I have seen some not even bother to ask for a license and simply want a credit card. You could call rental companies near where you will be and ask them what you need to rent a car...you could even try to set it up ahead so you do not have any issues.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

DUI topics