CA HOA is doing a non-judicial foreclosure on an assessment for HOA dues. Can a lien be placed on the unit owner's vehicle also

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

California Homeowners Association (HOA) is doing a non-judicial foreclosure of a lien filed on a unit. Is there anything that would prevent the HOA from placing a lien on the unit owner's vehicle too. Is it a good idea? I read the one-action rule but I thought it only pertained to judicial foreclosures and court judgments so it would not prevent the vehicle being tagged with a lien.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Best Answer

Answered . No, the foreclosure of the HOA lien cannot include personal property such as a vehicle owned by the delinquent homeowner. (See generally, CA Civil Code sections 1365, 1367.1, 1367.4)

2. Justin Drayton Graham

2

Answered . Under Section 1367(f) of the California Civil Code, HOA assessments are not subject to the one-action rule. This means that the association can pursue a deficiency judgment following a trustee sale.

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

1

Answered . The lien would attach to the unit, not other property.