Skip to main content

CA family law question

Los Angeles, CA |

My wife filed for divorce in 2006; however, the process was never finalized, she just filed an OSC it stop me from accepting money from a life insurance policy that has been sending me checks because I am disabled. But, I have been payiing the premiums on this policy since we separated. Would this money not be mine?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Well, did you use community funds to pay the annual payments for the policy? If the policy and payments were made all from separate funds since your separation then most likely it is your money. However, there maybe a support issue. You did not provide information as to each parties income.
You may want to speak to an attorney in your area, contact the local bar assocation for a referral.


My question to you would be, who paid the premiums prior to separation? There are other issues here such as they are disability payments. You need to contact an attorney in your area to review your documents.

Note this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on. Each situation is fact specific and court specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer