CA EDD said my claim wasn't valid and wants repayment, yet they approved my claim. I did not get a hearing but a bill for 17K

Asked over 4 years ago - Concord, CA

The EDD says a claim I filed and which was approved by them in 2007 was not valid and they want repayment. I sent a letter to them within the alloted time for appeal and I disputed it. Since they approved my claim I assumed while I was collecting checks the claim was valid. They then said I would get a hearing for the appeal. I have not gotten a hearing, but they sent a bill for the $12K plus $5K in penalties. How can I now get a hearing and appeal this? I have no money. I plan to file bankruptcy for medical debt incurred while unemployed, if they decide I owe them, can I include it in Chapter 7? I made no false statements when I filed the claim and acted in good faith. I assumed everything was fine when the claim was approved by them and had no reason to think otherwise.

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . Send them a letter telling them you dispute the debt, you have requested a hearing and will not pay before the appeal is heard. Your bankruptcy should discharge the debt unless they can show fraud.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.