CA Drivers license suspended for non-payment of 3 tickets....Please advise!

Trying to help a friend out of a sticky situation & would appreciate your expertise! He has received 3 moving violations, (all speeding related), in the past 2-3 years & has been financially unable to pay the fines. He has also not plead with the court in any way to take care of this situation which resulted to his drivers license being suspended in 12/2012. At least 1 of the 3 cases have been referred to collections & they are telling him that he needs to pay $900+ to get his license reinstated. Another one is in excess of $700 through the courts & I'm not sure about the 3rd one. He now has a very good job but has to travel between Brentwood & Stockton on a regular basis. What steps can he take to either get on a payment plan and/or get a court to issue him a restricted license?

Brentwood, CA -

Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

Criminal Defense Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

He should retain an attorney because it is the fastest way to get what he needs, an abstract, to get a license while dealing with the fines from GC Services and the attorney can appear on his behalf. Traffic ticket attorneys handle this type of matter. Good luck.

www.losangelesdefenders.com

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - Sherman Oaks, CA

If he has never appeared in court, they are in Failure to Appear status. An attorney can easily set these matters on calendar to clear the License Suspension. Then the attorney can fight these tickets in court. If the tickets are in Failure to Pay Status, meaning he pleaded no contest and agreed to pay the fine, there is not much he can do.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

Mohammad Ali Salimi

Mohammad Ali Salimi

DUI / DWI Attorney - Irvine, CA

The fee for a traffic court attorney is minimal and actually saves your friend money because attorneys negotiate fees by presenting possible defenses to the charges inducing lowered fines. An attorney, once retained, can immediately get a license reinstated - within 24 hours - and reset the matter on to the court's calendar. The most appealing part is that your friend never has to make a court appearance - his/her lawyer will handle the entire matter and they can just go on about their daily life. There are attorneys, like myself, that can successfully reinstate the license immediately and for reasonable fees. Good luck!

This is NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists.

Related Advice