CA divorce and husband's retirement assets

Asked over 6 years ago - Alameda, CA

I have been married for 18 years and my husband had an affair and is seeking a divorce. He has a retirement account and I understand that I am entitled to half of this asset. How does this work? He will be 59 in July. I am retired and 65.

1. Kelly Chang Rickert

1

1

Answered . If it's a qualified plan, it is community property during the period of the marriage, under the famous Brown case. You will need to consult with an attorney, who will arrange a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) drafted for you. This is a detailed order, which instructs the plan how to split the retirements benefits when it is finally distributed (upon his retirement).

2. John Stocks

1

1

Answered . Under ERISA, you will need to obtain a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (aka "QDRO"). Call his employer and ask for a sample form. You can start collecting your percentage of the community portion of the pension when you reach retirement age.

John Stocks
    Auburn, WA