CA child support laws, is a parent required to pay child support if child does not go to school

Redding, CA |

My 16 year old step son has not been attending high school since his sophmore year he has been taking minimal home school once a week and is trying to take a test so he will not have to finish high school does my husband still need to pay child support even if he is not going to school?

1. He must continue to pay child support until one of the following events:

1. Child dies or is legally emanicipated
    2. Child turns 18; unless child is enrolled full time in high school, in which case child support continues until the child graduates from high school or turns 19, whichever occurs first.

2. Sorry, but yes is the answer. Every parent has a duty to support their minor child. That obligation stops when the child becomes an adult (not including special needs children) or is deemed and emancipated minor. A child is deemed an adult when they reach 18. A child is deemed and emacipated minor by virtue of entering into a valid marriage or is on active duty with the armed forces of the United States, or the minor has been granted a declaration of emacipation.

Child support topics