CA, Do i have a right to a copy of my mothers will from executor.

The executor is my sister.Ihave asked to see the will,she said no. MY mother olny passed a moth ago. How can she getaway without showing me a list of assets.

I'm sorry about your mother's death. If your mother had a will, California law requires that it be lodged with the probate court within 30 days after death. If your sister is not willing to start the probate, then you can file your own petition to probate the estate. Contact a probate lawyer in the county where your mother resided to find out more information.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Attorney Brewer is absolutely correct. The executor is required to file your mother's will with the court within 30 days of her passing. If she does not do so, and does not commence probate proceedings, you should consult with an attorney, as you may file your own petition for probate.

Wills and estates topics