By law do I have to support my separated unemployed immigrant husband...

Asked over 4 years ago - New York, NY

I have one child with a immigrant I have been married to for close to 3 years. It is a grave concern no for me to finance the issue of him to receive his papers as this push is steering me close to believing he had intentions on receiving papers only through the marriage not enter the marriage in good faith. Will it be difficult for me to divorce him on any NY grounds and will I have to support him being that I am the employed spouse. We have also been separated for over 4 months now.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . In a marriage of short duration (and three years is a short duration) spousal support is rare, and if granted, usually short lived.

    Whether you will have grounds to divorce or not is something that can only be answered after a detailed conversation as to your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,101 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,101 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering