Buying a house. Is real estate agent needed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Redmond, WA


I found a house myself in the area I live in and I'd like to buy it. The seller has a real estate agent. Am I required to have a real estate agent?


Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No

  2. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's not a requirement, but it's also in your best interest to have a real estate agent. Buying real estate can be complex and is not as simple as just signing a contract. It shouldn't cost you a thing to work with a buyer's agent, either. An agent will do research to make sure you're getting a good deal and will know to look for things like defects in the home.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more
  3. Peter J Weinman


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Realtor not needed. ATTORNEY NEEDED.

    I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists. I earn my living collecting... more
  4. Richard Paul Patrick

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You do not need to get another real estate agent involved. Get a real estate attorney to review your purchase and sale agreement BEFORE you sign it and put any earnest money down.

    This is not legal advice.
  5. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless you can get the seller and listing agent to reduce the purchase price (because they would not have to pay commission to your agent and the agent's broker), it does not cost you any money to have an agent working for you (because your agent would be paid by the seller).

    Your agent would be working for you. An obvious service provided by your agent would be to show you properties. However, if you do not want to look at other properties, the agent can still be useful to you by presenting your offers and counteroffers, provide you with advice about real estate purchases, introduce you to other professionals (such as inspectors and mortgage brokers).

    There is no law in WA that would require you to hire a real estate agent or an attorney to help you with your real estate purchase. On another hand, unless you can do everything that professionals would do for you, you likely should hire professionals to make sure you are doing everything you should be doing to protect yourself.

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Buying and selling property

There are certain steps to follow to buy and sell real estate, from listing the property or making an offer, to meeting contingencies, among other things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,786 answers this week

3,515 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,786 answers this week

3,515 attorneys answering