Buying a child daycare, llc. Besides the purchase contract and lease agreement, what else should my lawyer be doing?

Brooklyn, NY |

Checking liens? Violations? Outstanding debts? Transferring the LLC to my name? I want the transition to go smoothly with no interruptions. Moreover, I want to make sure I'm protected from any liabilities from the past owner. What should my legal concerns be when buying a small business?

1. Sounds like you are already represented so it would not be proper to answer this question in a forum such as this. Have this conversation with your attorney.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

2. Buying the LLC does not protect you from prior owners liabilities.....don't buy the LLC but instead have e LLC sell it's business assets to a newly formed LLc you create to be the buyer....this will avoid liabilities as you are buying assets free and clear. Make seller give you representations and warranties as well as indemnification for any claims arising prior to closing of the deal. Ask for a noncompete from the LLC and it's owner for 5 years. Minimize down payment and pay purchase price over time tied to expectation of continued revenues......and about another 50 items I can think of that are way beyond the scope of Avvo given you already have an attorney.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.