Business slander

Castle Rock, CO |

I have a slanderous review on my businesses yelp page. Through my own investigation I found it was left by the GM of a restaurant that I gave a bad review on. She has never had my product (I know that for a fact), & her statements are totally false. I have since flagged the review, but am truly worried that this person is out to get me (she has looked up my info on linked-in as well), and am worried that the "small" harassment and slander will continue, if not grow into something bigger. Do I have any legal recourse to the slander? What can I do to prevent further communication, send her a letter?

1. Truth is a complete defense to libel (written) or slander (spoken). If her statements are factual, it is possible that they might be libelous if they are disparaging and untrue. However, to the extent that she is merely expressing her dislike or her opinion, that would not be libelous, e.g., for someone to say that another is an "a**hole" is not a matter of factual substance. It is merely an opinion. Internet disparagement is a difficult area to navigate. You may want to consult an attorney in confidence about your details or perhaps an online reputational management team. And remember, sometimes turnabout is fair play.

The information provided in this answer is only general shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. There are companies whose mission and purpose is restore a person's reputation which has been hurt by online information - and that may be your best bet. I also have heard - and this certainly is not legal advice and is probably no better than rumor - but that Yelp has a particularly bad reputation for leaving slanderous reviews up. I believe there was a recent significant judgment out of one of the southern states recently against a person who had falsely reported on a person or company. I don't know if Yelp was involved, but this is a growing area of the law. General laws of slander - actually libel if it is put in print - would apply, but it can be a tough area in which to prove your case. I would recommend you try the non-legal avenues first, such a contacting Yelp directly, and possibly seeking help from one of the reputation restoring services. If the problem spreads or gets out of hand, search AVVO for a defamation attorney, who may give you a free consultation. Good luck!

This response is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship between any individuals, and is not intended as specific legal advice.

3. Before hiring an attorney you should consider contacting the GM and requesting that she remove the statements. Inform her that you are prepared to file a lawsuit. If she doesn't remove the photos then speak with a local attorney regarding filing a lawsuit.

- Good Luck

The answers provided are of a general nature and are not intended to be final or complete answers of any individual's legal questions. Other facts not considered may change the analysis or outcome. Do not rely on information presented herein to address your individual legal concerns. Your receipt of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship and the legal privileges inherent therein. If you have a legal question, you should consult an attorney experienced in that area of the law. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you hire an attorney, you should request information about the attorney's qualifications and experiences. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum.