Business operation in residential zoned area.

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Business

What are the laws against operating a business in a residential district. Obviously the neighbors in a residential district of single family homes, would be disturbed and upset if a neighbor is operating a business from his home. If he is a day-trader, or writer, or artist, for example, the impact on the neighborhood would be neglegible. However, if the business is prostitution, auto-body shop, manufacture and assembly, rock band - the impact on the neighbors would be quite objectionable. Additional garbage collections; unusual noise level; high traffic of people; unsightly messy lawn.

What does the law say, and how can a neighbor protect himself from a neighbor who runs a business from his home in a non-commerciallyzoned residential area?

I live in San Francisco.

Much thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to call the Code Enforcement division of the city and ask. I was not able to find online the ordinance that describes these requirements. You can find the contact information here:

Business topics