Business Formation, Share Expression, Numbers

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

Suppose three people formed a business. In the business formation (incorporation?) contract, does the size of the share of each partner have to be expressed in finite percentages (34%, 33%, 33%), in which case the partners could have unequal shares, or could fractions be used (1/3, 1/3, 1/3), in which case the partners could have equal shares?

1. Michael Charles Doland

6

Answered . You can do it either way. You can say "one third". This is the tip of the iceberg in company formation, and you may wish to explore what Avvo archives have to offer on the contracts and registrations involved in company formation. Get a CPA and an attorney with whom you can have a long relationship.

2. John P Corrigan

3

Answered . Attorney Doland is so correct when he says the tip of the iceberg.... I have a meeting tomorrow with 3 lawyers who want to form a new law firm......they cannot do it themselves as they are not business lawyers.....you will need a business lawyer ton help you through the issues you have not even considered that younwill care about once you have been educated as to the issues you should be thinking about.....a lay person just does not realize the scope of issues that have tone dealt with...I am not trying tonbe condescending but I help doctors, lawyers and CPA's go through this process because they don't reallynknow what to focus on......just some advice to focus you and not scare you. Attorney Doland was just being brief in his iceberg analogy but it is so apt.....good luck to you!

3. Theodore Michael Hankin

Pro

1

Answered . Actual shares represented by share certificates are only issued using numbers of shares, not percentages. The number of shares issued to each shareholder divided by the total number of shares issued gives the percentage.