Business Closing - Can I claim my retention bonus?

Asked over 1 year ago - Indio, CA

I had a agreement with company that if I complete 12 months with company, I'll be paid a certain amount as retention bonus. If I resign before completion of 12 months then I am not eligible for retention bonus.
Now due to general lay off, company has asked employees to put their resignations. My 12 months are not over yet and I have resigned against my will. Can I claim my retention bonus now?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

4

Answered . First, the retention agreement must be reviewed by an attorney in order to be able to provide you with an legal opinion on the rights and obligations the arise out of the contract. Otherwise, we would simply be guessing.

Second, just because an employer asks you to resign does not mean you have to. If the business is closing, it typically lays off its workforce. It seems there may be an ulterior motive for asking you to resign. Also it may be subject to a WARN notice, which requires 60 days notice under certain circumstances.

It is clear you need to meet with an employment law attorney, in your area, to review the contract and discuss the facts and circumstances of this closure.

2. Craig Trent Byrnes

Pro

3

Answered . Mr. Kirschbaum took the words right out of my mouth. Never, ever, *never* resign just because your employer tells you to. You are under no requirement to do so, and doing so may relinquish significant rights.

Determining whether you receive your retention bonus or not would certainly depend on what the agreement said, but it may be moot. Any company that is undergoing a general layoff is probably not able to pay retention bonuses. Nonetheless, you would be wise to contact an attorney to figure out what happened here.

Sincerely,
    Craig T. Byrnes
    www.ctblawfirm.com

3. David Andrew Mallen

3

Answered . The purpose of a retention bonus is, in part, to encourage continued employment. The courts are likely to interpret the agreement according to its terms, under the circumstances.

Clever lawyers can make sound legal arguments for interpreting contracts, but like my good colleagues say, you need to put that contract in the hands of an experienced lawyer.

David Mallen