Skip to main content

Burglary of a building

Baytown, TX |

I was arrested for burglary of a building and got out on $20,000 bail. I refused a court appointed lawyer but have changed my mind. The jail told me I might not come to trail for 3 months to a year. How do I ask for a lawyer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You may not be able to get a court appointed lawyer since you made a $20,000 bond. Most of the judges in Harris County will do everything in their power to prevent that from happening. (They presume if you are sitting in jail that you are indigent. You must be indigent to get a court appointed lawyer.)

You need to contact several lawyers and get them to quote you fees. Go to your next setting, announce no lawyer when they call your name. The judge will talk to you about hiring a lawyer. You can tell him the research you have already done and that you cannot afford a lawyer - if that is true. Be prepared to be denied.


If you are on bond you need to tell the court coordinator you want to apply for a court appointed lawyer. Depending on the Court (every Court does things differently) they will have you fill out a financial affidavit and then give it to the Judge who will decide if you qualify for a court appointed lawyer


Based on what you have written, Harris County courts have varying philosophies as to who is indigent and not indigent. You should speak with the court's coordinator to obtain a indigent financial affidavit and fill it out for presentation to the judge. The judge will make the determination of whether you may be appointed counsel. You should seriously consider getting a local law firm to assist you in the event the court does not approve your request for appointed counsel.

The above response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an on-going duty to respond to questions. Additionally, the response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.


You will probably not get an attorney, but ask to fill out a indigent financial affidavit to see if you qualify for a court appointed attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer