Skip to main content

Bully inflicts intentional, deliberate emotional harm, results in fear, anxiety and depression. Gounds for a lawsuit?

Lincoln, CA |

For almost eight years, my wife has been bullied by our close neigbor. He only strikes when I'm away, when confronted he acts innocent. He tells the other neigbors in our immediate area that she is crazy, an idiot and a problem. He gets within inches of her face at times and yells, calling her the crudest of curse words. This often happens in front of our juvenile boy. Just this past week he pulled his fist back as if he wanted to hit her. He is 6'2 and 375, she is 5'4 and 140. As a direct result of these ongoing attacks my wife has become depressed, fears going outside and takes medication for depression and anxiety. The local police have come out several times, not much they can do. I'm told a restraining order would likely not be permanent. I want to hit him were it counts!

In addition, he urges his wife and children to verbally assault her. My wife has suffered substantial emotional distress over this, her quality of life has diminished greatly. In addition, our juvenile son's behavior has changed. He encourages his children to provoke both my wife and son with both language and physical acts.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Consult with a personal injury attorney in your area. You may have something worth doing.

  2. You may have a case. Consult an attorney ASAP.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  3. If you beleive that he is trying to intimidate her, call the police. File charges for harrssment or assualt. However, as an intentional tort, it is unlikely anyone will take the case. You could file a civil claim yourself.

  4. Use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool

  5. I suggest you place security video cameras in your home to protect your home and your wife. You should also have a security alarm that would connect with the police anytime this bully sets foot in your property uninvited. Right now you may have a case for trespassing, nuisance assault and attempted battery. File a complaint with the police and tell them what this individual has been doing. Your wife should not be subjected to this kind of sick behavior by this bully. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  6. I would move out, just to be sure the children have a safe home.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics