Building Fire Personal Injury

Staten Island, NY |

My landlord who was harassing me prior to a fire occurring in my building. And now that the FDNY has put a vacate notice on the door due to the fire, the landlord put new locks on the door and doesn't want to provide access for me to retrieve my belongings. The other tenants were able to retrieve at least some of their belongings. What can I do?
personal injury

The landlord is using the fire as an excuze to harass me further by not allowing me to retrieve my property. Is there anything I can do, since he put new locks which I don't have keys to?

Dear Staten Island Tenant:

A tenant "locked outl" may use the NYC Housing Court illegal lock out lawsuit to gain limited access to the building to remove personal property.

The local firehouse may also be able to provide limited supervised access to the fir damaged building to recover your possessions.

Many attorneys have suggested you consult with a personal injury attorney to deal with your PI damages.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Here is the information you need: http://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housing/lockouts.shtml

This must be the 6th variation on the question, but there is a new fact. If the FD has put a vacate notice on the door, there's nothing you or the landlord can do - maybe the other tenants were lucky enough to retrieve their belongings before the FD put up the notice.

I'm just 3 "helpful" answers away from a free toaster-oven! I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant